Sunday, May 3, 2009

More Gifts

In the spring of 2005, I took a trip to Europe where I started noticing the patterns of every day things -- the tiles on a church roof, the sidewalk bricks in a row, etc. They all started looking like quilt patterns to me!! I could tell this new hobby was taking root in my brain. The two quilts featured in this post were inspired by a brick pattern in Prague. The fist one was for my friend Mike. His quilt was a challenge because many fabric are flowery or at least feminine. Due to his Navy background, I chose a patriotic, nautical theme. With this pattern, you alternate one solid 4" inch square and one 4" inch square made of 4 smaller squares. I also mitered the corners on this quilt as well. This is also the first quilt I mailed. I was worried about it getting wet en route so I wrapped it in several plastic bags and put it in a sturdy box. I also decided to overnight it where it arrived at Mike's doorstep in perfect condition. I also insured it for $100.00. My quilts are priceless, but I would be devestated if something happened to it!!

I used the same pattern for my next quilt, a gift for my dear friend Erica. Sadly, Erica had been recently diagnosed with leukemia and was in the hospital for her first round of chemo and first bone marrow transplant. Erica loved the color purple, so it was a natural selection for the quilt. Fortunately, there are myriad purple fabrics at the store and in fact, I had trouble picking the perfect shades and perfect patterns. To this day, of all the quilts I've made, Erica's is my favorite. I used a contrasting thin green border to differentiate the purple quilt from the purple borders. I had always been told to use complementary colors, but I found the pop of green to be a delightful addition to the quilt.

I am sad writing this post because Erica passed away this spring on March 7th after a heroic 4 year battle with cancer. She endured 7 bone marrow transplants and 37 bone biopsies. Though cancer eventually took her life, she was an inspiration to all who knew her. I was blessed to have met her in 6th grade and have maintained a great friendship throughout our high school, college and post college days. Our world will never be the same without her, but I take comfort in knowing that she is not suffering, and she is dancing in Heaven with the angels.

Erica and me in front of Radio City Music Hall in New York City in 2003:


Rest in peace, Erica!!

No comments:

Post a Comment