Monday, May 18, 2009

Bright colors!


Okay, so I am killing time before I head to the Nationals baseball game, so I figured I had time for one post. In this post, you will see the Carpenters Square pattern:(http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersSquareBlock.htmlww.quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersSquareBlock.htmlww.quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersSquareBlock.html). The Quilter's Cache rates this pattern 3 pins (like stars) in terms of difficulty so there is a reason this quilt only had nine blocks! My friend Jamie, a fellow quilter, sent me the most beautiful collection of fat quarters for my birthday so I decided to practice this difficult pattern with them. I had originally thought I could make purses from the squares since they are 11" squares, which is perfect for small purses, but I liked how they turned out so much, I made a small quilt for myself and decided to completely redecorate my bedroom so I could use it, even though the quilt itself can't be more than 36X36. The Carpenter's Square is very time consuming because you can't easily do strip piecing. Each piece has to be sewn individually. The majority of my time making this quilt was cutting the fabric to the various sizes (2" square, 2" X 4" strips, 2" X 6" strips, etc) But the final results are great. I put together this quilt over Christmas, while I was home at my parents. You'd be surprised to know that their cats, Boots & Bella, were excellent assistants. Bella (ironically, since she's the shy one) enjoyed getting in between the top and the batting when I was tying the quilt!
Here it is finally finished. Don't I look proud?!?! (and maybe a bit relieved!)

So I have never really had a great bedspread for my brass bed, and I had been using an old comforter of my grandmother's with pastel flowers, but I wanted to incorporate this bright floral quilt into my bedding scheme. So, I went out and bought a white duvet cover and filled it with batting (I thought an actual feather comforter would be too hot) and I bought other new bright colored accessories. I'm not sure if I love the results, but it's starting to grow on me:

No comments:

Post a Comment